CIVIC and its nationwide network of affiliated visitation programs is the first point of contact to the outside world for many immigrants in detention. CIVIC works to connect immigrants in detention to a community of support on the outside and that is exactly what CIVIC is doing for a young man named Sergio Vazquez Gutierrez. But we need your support now!
Sergio–originally from Santa Ana del Valle Tlacolula, Oaxaca, Mexico–has been in immigration detention at the Santa Ana City Jail in California since May 2012. He is a gay man living with AIDS, and he was recently diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his brain. Sergio was told he needs chemotherapy as soon as possible, but he is not getting the treatment he needs in detention. His health is deteriorating rapidly, and without the proper treatment, we believe Sergio could die soon.
Today, CIVIC connected Sergio to an immigration attorney with the Public Law Center, and we are hoping to reduce his bond and win his release from immigration detention. Once he is released, the Asian Pacific AIDS Intervention Taskforce (APAIT) has offered to provide Sergio with medical services, an AIDS Specialist, a Spanish-speaking Case Manager, and possibly temporary shelter for 60-90 days.
WHAT CIVIC IS ASKING OF YOU:
1) Help us raise money to pay Sergio’s bond.
Sergio’s bond is set at $2,500. CIVIC has teamed up with the First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles to raise money for Sergio’s bond. To give a tax-deductible donation, please DONATE HERE TO SAVE SERGIO’S LIFE
- Follow these instructions to donate: Under the “Programs” section, please click “Other” and write “Immigration Detention Bond Fund.”
- The Bond Fund has a little under $900. 100% of your donation will go toward paying Sergio’s bond or toward helping other human beings gain their freedom from immigration detention by paying their bond.
- History of the Bond Fund: Since 2007, First Unitarian Church’s Immigration Bond Fund has been run by Rochelle McAdam and has been used to post bond for eligible candidates in immigration detention. Each bond has cost between $1,500 and $3,000, and the Bond Fund had been successful in gaining the release of eight individuals, most of whom were detained in the Mira Loma Detention Facility in Lancaster, California (a detention facility now closing).
2) Help CIVIC find Sergio Shelter.
If you know anyone or any organization that might be able to provide Sergio with temporary or long-term housing. Please contact CIVIC at 385-21-CIVIC.
Sample Script: “Hi, I am calling to urge ICE to release Sergio Vazquez Gutierrez (A# 200-243-222) from the Santa Ana City Jail in California. Sergio was recently diagnosed with cancer and a tumor in his head. He needs immediate surgery to remove the tumor before it’s too late. Sergio must be released from detention to get the treatment he urgently needs. Let him go!”
4) Become a Visitor Volunteer at the Santa Ana City Jail.
CIVIC is working with community members to start an immigration detention visitation program at the Santa Ana City Jail. If you are interested in joining the larger movement to end the isolation and abuse of detained immigrants like Sergio, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. CIVIC will be taking a small group to tour the detention facility and visit with immigrants detained at the Santa Ana City Jail on November 19th.