“As transgender people, we are placed in that unit [solitary confinement] because of who we are.” – Bamby Salcedo, transgender activist and former immigration detainee
An Overview of Immigration Detention for LGBTI
Angela Maria Kelley, Vice President, Immigration Policy, Center for American Progress
Olga Tomchin, Soros Fellow, Transgender Law Center
Royce Murray, Policy Director, National Immigrant Justice Center
Christina Fialho, Co-Founder/ Executive Director, CIVIC
Sharita Gruberg, Policy Analyst, LGBT Immigration Project, Center for American Progress
Supplemental Reading: Dignity Denied: LGBT Immigrants in U.S. Immigration Detention
Learn How to Become a Visitor Volunteer & Advocate for LGBTI People in Detention
CIVIC created the above video, “Transgender 101: A Training Video for CIVIC Visitor Volunteers” along with Ending Discrimination & Abuse of LGBTI in U.S. Immigration Detention: Supplemental Reading Material for CIVIC Visitor Volunteers
- Training Video Agenda & Overview of Supplemental Reading Material
- Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer (Click here for the full book or contact CIVIC for clearer copy)
- LGBT Migrants in Immigration Detention
- Social and Legal Barriers: Sexual Orientation and Asylum in the United States (contact CIVIC for clearer copy)
- A Model Immigration Detention Facility for LGBTI?
- Thoughts from a CIVIC Visitor Volunteer
- A Campaign to Free G
LGBTI Migrants in Immigration Detention: A Global Perspective
The detention of LGBTI immigrants is a global problem, but there are protections available under international law for LGBTI individuals in immigration detention.
- Tabak, Shana and Levitan, Rachel, LGBTI Migrants in Immigration Detention: A Global Perspective (February 26, 2014). Harvard Journal of Law and Gender, Vol. 37, No. 1, 2014; American University, WCL Research Paper No. 2014-13.