Information for Families

After months in immigration detention, Jose reunites with his sister Ana at Casa de Paz, a member organization of CIVIC located across the street from the Aurora Detention Facility in Colorado.

How Do I Find Someone in U.S. Immigration Detention?
(1) ICE Detainee Locator (click here to access)
In 2010, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) launched this online tool with the ability to locate a person in immigration detention who is currently in ICE custody or who was released from ICE custody for any reason within the last 60 days.
(2) You may contact ICE’s Public Advocate by calling the ICE Community Helpline at 1-888-351-4024 during regular business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
(3) Please also contact CIVIC at 385-212-4842 for assistance. We have found that the ICE Detainee Locator is not always accurate or up-to-date. We are here to help you!
How Do I Find My Loved One’s Court Date?
Dial 1-800-898-7180. The Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), has created this Immigration Courts’ 800 Phone Number by which individuals can receive information about their cases through an automated system, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
How Do I Find an Immigration Attorney?
(1) National Immigration Legal Services Directory
You can search by state, zip code, and detention facility and print, PDF and email results in 13 different languages.
(2) Free Legal Service Providers (click here for a list by state)
The U.S. Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review maintains a list of free legal service providers. The list notes the specific area in which each organization works.
(3) Free Legal Referral, Provided by the American Immigration Lawyers Association
You may also call the Immigration Lawyer Referral Service at (800) 954-0254 or email them at and state your name, phone number, what kind of immigration lawyer you need (for example, detention-deportation defense), and the city and state in which you need the lawyer.
(4) If you choose not to use one of the above resources for locating an immigration attorney, please review USCIS’s website on how to avoid scams and take the following precautions:

  • Only go to an Attorney or a BIA Accredited Representative.
  • An Attorney must have a license to practice law – Ask to see their law license.
  • A BIA Accredited Representative must be accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and work for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, which is recognized by the Board of Immigration Appeals – Ask to see their accreditation documents.
  • Notarios, Notaries or Notary Publics are NOT Attorneys or BIA Accredited Representative and they cannot give legal advice.
  • To file a complaint against a Notario in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTCHELP (1-877-382-4357).

What is Bond?
A “bond hearing,” which can sometimes occur on the same day as a “master calendar” hearing, is limited to deciding whether you can be released from detention by paying a “bond.” A bond is an amount of money paid to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to guarantee that you will appear in court for all of your hearings and obey the order of the immigration judge. If you attend all of your hearings, and obey the judge’s order, then the money will be returned to the person who paid the bond at the end of the proceedings (regardless of whether you win or lose). If you do not appear in court, the money is not returned and you may be ordered removed or deported by the immigration judge.
If you are in immigration detention, you may ask a judge to order your release under bond while your case is proceeding. However, the judge cannot order your release or set a bond if you were detained while entering the United States (but you can apply for parole) or if you have been convicted of serious crimes. Most criminal convictions render you ineligible for bond and you will have to remain in detention while you fight your immigration case.
CIVIC encourages you to seek attorney representation. If you cannot obtain an attorney, we encourage you to review this material for pro se litigants.
If your loved one has been in immigration detention for over six months and is detained in the Ninth Circuit, your loved one may be eligible for a Rodriguez bond hearing or a bond hearing under Casas-Castrillon. Even if your loved ones is subject to mandatory detention, your loved one may still be eligible for a Rodriguez bond hearing. Please call CIVIC if you believe your loved one is eligible for a Rodriguez bond hearing at 385-212-4842.
I Have Been Granted Asylum, Now What Do I Do?
Call the referral line for persons granted asylum. If you have been granted asylum, you are eligible for assistance from the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR). These benefits and services include job placement, English language classes, cash assistance, and medical assistance. If you have been granted asylum, call 1-800-354-0365 for information and referral to programs in your community. This line is a service for asylees only and provides information in 18 languages. The referral line is a joint project of Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC) and Catholic Charities, Archdiocese of New York. A one page outreach flyer for asylees is available on the ORR website in 9 languages. In addition, CLINIC has created a guide to asylee benefits and services.
My Loved One is About to Be Deported, Who Can Help Us?
Click here for a list of resources by country to help you and your friend in detention prepare for deportation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *